Thursday 27 January 2011

A Nik In Time

I don't listen to music very often. A year ago, I was feeling very depressed, and didn't know why. I then realised that I was becoming very emotional with every song that was played. I'd listen to a slow song and feel sad. Even if the song had no relevance to me. Even while working at work, I couldn't listen to the radio for fear of suddenly bursting into tears and someone walking in and seeing me.


So, I stopped listening to music.


However, I have recently started up again, all thanks to the rediscovery of my favourite singer from the 1980's - Nik Kershaw.


He is still going strong (he's now 53!), still writing songs and touring.

Nik Kershaw, then and now


I've never found anyone who writes lyrics quite like him. Nowadays, most people write songs about love found and love lost. Although Nik has written songs like this, most of his songs are of more unusual topics. I still have no idea what "The Riddle" is about, but all I know is that it made a great dungeon that I for my games group many years ago. And how many songs do you know about "Don Quixote"?

His new stuff is good too. He's even produced an acoustic album of his old songs, turning classics like "Human Racing", "Wouldn't It Be Good", and "Dancing Girls" into folk ballads.


He has restored my faith in music. Thank you, Mr Kershaw.


Now, shall I start relistening to Howard Jones....?

3 comments:

  1. T'rant still has that lute



    Ric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, those were the days. You, me, Jane and Lois. That seems like a lifetime away now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Drake, I recently found a copy of Human's Lib and gave it a spin. Still a great album, so you should definitely give Mr. Jones a revisit. As for Mr. K, I heard the Human Racing album a LOT when I was a teenager, as I had a fangirl girlfriend. Happy memories! Indigo

    ReplyDelete